- Bodiam Castle
- Windsor Castle
As a working mother of four beautiful children, my weekends are precious family time. During the week there is little time to relax and enjoy each others company, it is a mad whirl of school runs, work and housework. As Friday approaches there is always a happy feel, and I really try to get the kids out and about every weekend. It doesn’t have to be for expensive days out, I am a firm believer that some of the best memories come from the simple things.
1. A trip to the park. I love exploring new parks with the children, our local park is pretty good but there is always something more exciting about visiting a new one. The children love finding new equipment, trying it out, and I love that I can join in and revert back to being a child. Best of all, it’s free! Take a look at local villages and towns, you might be surprised.
2. Swimming. In the summer there is nothing better than visiting the outdoor splash parks. In winter I have found it great to visit the local indoor pools. There is normally a fun session at weekends, and the average price for a family ticket is only about £10. It wears the children out lovely.
3. A weekend away. As the ultimate treat UK holiday parks are great for a weekend break, it’s a real chance to escape the everyday life of domestic chores. You get to eat out, not look at the washing pile and even treat the children to some night time entertainment which hopefully tires them out and gives you a lay in. A lot of the UK holiday parks are near beaches too, so there is plenty of exploring to be done.
4. The Zoo. I find the winter months even better for a trip to the zoo, summer time always seems too hot. During the summer I find the animals are hiding from the sun whereas in the winter they seem to come out and embrace the weather. Simply wrap the kids up in waterproofs, and off you go. There is lots of activities put on during different seasons by the zoo’s, so check the website of the one you plan to visit beforehand.
5. Steam Train rides. A visit to the local railway museum can be very exciting, especially if you get to ride on an actual train. Take a look at local ones, there is events happening all year round, with santa visits and Thomas the Tank Engine rides too. Some other railway centres also have additional features such as a miniature railway too.
What’s your favourite weekend activity?
Next year my son will start secondary school, and that is a scary thought! I remember starting High School myself, and I remember how scary it was. But only this is different, Jordan has learning difficulties. Starting High School and being the youngest ones there is not good, you feel vulnerable, you feel exposed, and lets face it, kids can be cruel. I remember kids being picked on from everything from the shoes they wore, to the bag they were carrying, or even what they looked like. I wasn’t immune from the bullying, and I had the odd moment where people said nasty things, and in all honesty the worst kind of time for me was my third year in high school when I got really awful acne. No word of a lie, my hormones must of been in overdrive and my back was covered. It didn’t help that we had to do swimming, in costumes that showed all my spotty back. I would of tried any acne treatments available, and I even ended up on a long course of tablets from the doctor to help it. But that of course didn’t stop the comments and remarks. Instead I found every excuse possible to get out of swimming, from my heavy period to sports injury. The teachers would just give me an hours detention if I didn’t do the swimming, it didn’t bother me, I would of rather spent an hour stood in the sports hall than even spent a minute exposing my back to the world.
Toddler Fashion Wishlist
Some say that kids are becoming fashionable too early but when it comes to self-confidence, the earlier style is developed the best. We’re always told to express ourselves and while guidance is needed, outfit choices should always be there for your toddler. Let’s take a look at this summer’s fashion list.
Children’s Hunter Wellies. With 150 years experience behind them, Hunter of Edinburgh is a global brand with diversity and style. Whether you’re taking your toddler to their first festival or you’re expecting some muddy adventures during the summer months, embrace on-trend wellington boots with a pair of these for your child.
Converse All Stars. It’s been some rise to fame for these sneakers, and it’s time your toddler made a statement with a pair this summer. Perfect for walking through the woods or to take on holiday, treat your child with some top footwear that you can design yourself if you wish!
Christopher Fischer, Pink & Peach Cashmere Cardigan. Soft to touch and a joy to wear, your little girl will love this item from the latest line of Christopher Fischer. Complete with a mini teddy bear, this will be great for the evenings when the temperature drops a bit or for those milder days out.
Gingham Shirts. Whether in long or short sleeved, these are great easy to wear and cost effective shirts for summer. Going to a special occasion or need to smarten up for a weekend? These are the ideal complement for cords or chinos for your little boy.
Tommy Hilfiger Beige Chinos. Speaking of chinos, these classics would mix perfectly with shirts for a smart occasion. But, the versatility of chinos means they’re perfect for a casual day out too. Elastic waistband means they are a comfortable fit for your boy.
Oh Baby London Leggings. Fun and cost effective, these pieces are great for your girl’s wardrobe. Soft and stretchy, they are a comfortable and bold addition to any ensemble. Popular in diagonal stripes and leopard print, there are plenty of others to choose from.
Bermuda shorts. Great for boys and girls, Bermuda and cargo shorts need to be part of any wardrobe. Semi casual, they are perfect for holiday wear and comfortable to be walking around. In various colours, they can be found everywhere but alexandalexa and Old Navy have a particularly nice range.
Benetton waterproof jackets. These lightweight jackets are available in bright blue, red and navy and are crucial for British summertime. We’ve learnt to not trust the weather in Britain and these are great to have in the boot of the car or in a bag when out and about.
Junior Gaultier Black Suit. If your young man needs a sophisticated look for a wedding or other occasion then this has to be on the wishlist. A pricey number, it is complete luxury that is tailored faultlessly.
These are some of the best fashion pieces on offer this summer. There a plenty of other options in the collections that are cute and useful for you boys or girl. Start them on their way to style with a new wardrobe this season.
This post is by the lovely and awesome Liz, who blogs at http://www.hartofthemunchkinpatch.co.uk/
LEGOLAND Windsor is a favourite day out for the whole family, so when we were asked if we wanted a sneak peek of the park a week before it opened to the public, we jumped at the chance!
We were excited to be reunited with some of our favourite rides, and also a great chance to see what was new for 2013.
One of the big main attractions for 2013 is the Legends of Chima 4D Movie Experience
Take the whole family on a trip to Chima, where powerful tribes of animal warriors fight over the precious energy source CHI. You and your young animals will join a wild chase through Chima, becoming entwined in a battle for CHI between Laval the Lion Prince, and Cragger the Crocodile Prince.
The film was amazing! Filled with action, clever lighting, fire (in safe distance) and even snow! It was a complete 4d experience which bought the brilliant story to life. The children were gripped, and so were the adults. A must see for all visitors, old and young. It brought the Chima Characters to life, and inspired their imaginations massively
There is plenty of other attractions, it is sure to be a complete day out for all the family. There is the amazing Atlantis ride, which takes you on an underwater adventure, visiting the new baby bamboo sharks and plenty of fish too…
LEGOLAND Windsor is a brilliant day out, with restaurants, kiosks and amazing baby changing facilities, there is everything you could need on the site and much more besides. There is even more planned for 2013, with the opening of DUPLO Valley Splash and Play which opens May 2013, one we can’t wait to see. You can buy tickets online, check out all of the rides, attractions, new and lots more at www.legoland.co.uk